Pie Pans – glass, foil, dark, shinny. What is the best pan to use?
– glass or dark pans brown the best
– if using shiny pan, move rack down one level in oven
Shortening, Lard or Oil – which is the best for making pie crust? Is one healthier?
– pie is not considered “healthy”
– all pie should be eaten sparingly – BUT Thanksgiving is the day to enjoy it and not feel guilty
– all fat has the same number grams, just difference in type of fat
– all will make a “tender” crust, but not necessarily flakey
– lard makes the flakiest crust
Is there a trick to making a flakey crust?
– use lard
– have all ingredients ice cold
– “cut” fat into flour (as opposed to stirring or smashing)
– don’t over mix or work the crust
– sprinkle in water, toss gently with a fork
How do you make a “shell” for cream pie?
– prick bottom & sides with a fork
– allow pie crust to relax or rest before baking
– pie weights (or dry beans or rice)
– to keep a flakey crust, avoid filling until last minute
How do you avoid fruit pie spill overs?
– pre-cook filling
– seal edges well
– place pie pans on cookie sheet or foil to bake
How do you make a pretty browned top?
– brush with milk
– brush egg wash
– sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon/sugar
How do you prevent the edge from over cooking?
– pie shields
– strips of foil
Any time savings tips?
– cut fat into flour and salt ahead and refrigerate
– place one recipe pie crust in zip loc bags
For information and additional recipes visit Beckyemail@example.com