This creative dinner is fun to make during the fall season.
Chef Nettie Frank shares how to make a creamy soup inside a pumpkin.
Potato Bacon Soup
1 – 10 pound pumpkin
1 onion – small diced
3 carrots – peeled and small diced
1 lb. bacon- chopped
4 green onions – chopped
1 bunch of Parsley – chopped
1 cup corn
2 cups diced potatoes
1/3 cup flour
3 T. Butter
2 quarts Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Salt and pepper – to taste
1. Turn oven on to 400 degrees.
2. Cut top out of pumpkin, carve out all seeds. Save seeds, rinse them, season with salt and pepper and bake them for 15 min. At 400 degrees.
3. Cook off bacon in medium size pan. Remove cooked bacon, place in a separate plate.
4. Sauté onions and carrots in bacon fat for 10 min.
5. Add butter and flower, cook for another minute. Add 1 quart of liquid and stir until smooth. Set aside.
6. Put potatoes, corn, parsley, green onions, heavy cream, 1 quart of stock into pumpkin.
7. Put carrot and onion mixture into pumpkin. Add 1 T. Salt and 2 tsp. Pepper.
8. Place pumpkin on cookie sheet with a foil ring around it. Place into oven and cook for 1 hour.
9. Remove from oven. Take pumpkin lid off and stir. Serve it with sour cream, cheddar cheese and bacon bits.