Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
Elena Davis shares her recipe for smashed pesto potatoes.
Roasted Smashed Pesto Potatoes With Tomatoes
- 1 Recipe for Fresh Arugula Walnut Pesto or Homemade Basil Pesto
- 1.5 lb (680 grams) small Yukon gold or honey gold potatoes, washed
- 1 lb (454 grams) grape tomatoes or tomato medley variety, cut in half
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for topping
- 1 cup arugula salad
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, add 2 Tablespoons of Kosher salt and plunge the potatoes into hot water. If the water boils too much, lower the heat to medium-high. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until fork tender (not falling apart).
- Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil. Drain potatoes and place in rows on a baking sheet. Use the back of a spoon or a small cup to smash each potato. Apply gentle pressure and push down with more force to create the smashed look.
- Add cut tomatoes to a baking sheet spreading evenly, in a single layer, with potatoes. Drizzle potatoes and tomatoes with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the edges of the potatoes are crispy—season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and top with pesto, a generous drizzle of olive oil, fresh arugula, and chopped walnuts. Serve warm or cold.