1 teaspoon dark Oriental sesame oil
1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 jasmine tea bags *
1 cup black or jasmine rice *
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ tablespoons wasabi powder*
2 Tablespoons honey
4 salmon fillets 5 to 6 ounces each about
olive oil cooking spray
chopped fresh cilantro – optional
Note: Ingredients with an asterisk are available in Oriental Markets
1. Spray a medium sized non-stick or stick resistant frying pan with cooking spray and heat over medium until hot. Add mangos stirring until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer cooked mangos to a blender or food processor and add vinegar, teaspoon sesame oil and ¼ cup white wine. Blend together until smooth. Pour sauce into a microwave safe dish cover and set aside.
2. In a 2- to 3-quart saucepan bring 2 cups water to boil over high. Remove tea bags and add rice and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir, cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 to 55 minutes or if using Jasmine rice about 20 minutes.
3. In a small bowl mix wasabi powder with an equal amount of water and 2 tablespoons honey until smooth. Rinse and dry salmon.
4. Spray a large oven proof frying pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium high. When hot lay salmon fillet skin side down in pan; cook turning once with a wide spatula, until lightly browned (2 to 3 minutes per side) Remove pan from heat and brush each fillet with wasabi-honey mixture using it all.
5. Transfer pan with salmon to a 350 oven. Bake just until fish is opaque but still moist in the center, 7 to 10 minutes.
6. Heat mango sauce in microwave at full power for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer a piece of salmon to each of four warmed plates; spoon rice equally along side of you can place it under the filet. Drizzel Mango sauce around salmon and rice. If desired garnish with a little chopped cilantro.
Yield 4 servings each at approximately 442 calories; 6.8 grams total fat; 1.1 grams saturated fat; 79 grams cholesterol; 57.9 grams carbohydrate; 2.6 grams dietary fiber; 33.8 grams protein; 371 milligrams sodium.
Compare at 500 calories and 16 grams total fat