Michelle Virtue with Campus Craft & Floral shows simple ways to set an elegant Thanksgiving table.
Thanksgiving is a time for bringing those you love together to celebrate the season of gratitude. Traditionally, the holiday is centered on one meal—one chance to show your guests that you care enough to make the day memorable.
This year, try something a little bit different. Create a new tradition. Many families spend hours preparing a lavish meal—only to have it consumed in minutes in order to catch the next football game. Make your Thanksgiving more meaningful this year by having an evening meal far from the television and centered around a beautiful table. Going the extra mile doesn’t have to mean a complicated and expensive tablescape. With a few simple techniques and a bit of pre-planning, you can make this Thankgiving an elegant celebration full of meaning, memories, and gratitude.
• Linen tablecloth and napkins.
Experiment with different colors, textures, and layering techniques.
• A collection of water-tight containers
We love antique glass in an assortment of sizes and shapes, but open your cupboards and be creative. Borrow or trade pieces with a friend. Keep in mind that the simpler these containers are, the more versatile they become for other holidays or entertaining.
• Votive candles and candle holders. Lighting is key to an evening meal and adds to the elegant factor.
• Place cards.
1. Lay table linens. Mixing colors, textures, and even patterns can really provide an elegant foundation. Every linen closet should have a clean white linen and some type of gold linen accent (cloth, runner, or overlay).
2. Fill vases or containers with selected flowers or foliage.
3. Place glass containers down the length of your table. Experiment with varied heights, shapes, and configurations to suit your table shape and size. Groupings make a statement. If you don’t have a large amount of glass to run the entire length of your table, make several groupings and place them strategically to get the most bang for your buck.
4. Use candles as accents. This will be one of the most powerful additions to your table. It will make everything glow.
5. Add touches of whimsy that will make your table memorable. Consider adding gold photo frames to emphasize things to be grateful for.
6. Accent linen napkins. Fresh or silk flowers, a sweet treat, or a charm tied with a simple ribbon.
7. Set custom place cards. Make them meaningful. We love gratitude boxes or gratitude exchanges.
For a great selection of fresh flowers and home décor, visit BYU Campus Craft & Floral:
Campus Craft & Floral
Provo, UT 84602