Shamrock Shortbread Cookies
2 cups flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup butter
Vanilla baking chips (opt.)
1. Combine flour, sugar, and cornstarch. Mix well.
2. Cut in butter until fine and crumbly.
3. Press mixture together with hands to form a ball.
4. Chill dough for at least one hour.
5. When ready to bake cookies, roll out dough to ¼” thickness.
6. Using a 3″ or 4″ shamrock-shaped cookie cutter, cut shamrock shapes from dough.
7. Carefully spread topping (see recipe below) over top of cut out cookies (before baking) to approximately 1/8″ from edges. Topping should be about 1/8″ thick.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
9. Drizzle top of cooled cookies with melted vanilla baking chips if desired.
½ cup apple jelly*
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Green food coloring
1. Place apple jelly and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
2. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring constantly.
3. Add green food color to desired shade of green.
4. Remove from heat and let cool.
As an option, mint apple jelly can be used and makes a light green color with no need to add extra food coloring.