This sweet chicken recipe is like your Café Rio favorite, but easier!
We love the Café Rio Sweet Pork, but if you’ve ever tried a copycat recipe, it’s not that easy to make. By the time your done, you may as well have just gone out to the restaurant. This recipe gives it a little twist. Use chicken as your protein and the process gets a lot simpler.
Alex Daynes shares the tweaks she made to the classic sweet pork recipe. This meal is a one pot wonder! Throw everything in your Instant Pot, even the frozen chicken, and your work is finished.
Shredded Sweet Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds thawed or frozen chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 can coca cola
- 1 6 ounce can diced green chilis, drained
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add the chicken, Coca-Cola, diced green chilis, salsa, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, onion powder, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the instant pot.
- Lock the lid, set the valve to seal, and manually set the pressure for 24 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is finished cooking, quick release the pressure. The chicken should be tender and shreddable. Shred in the juices with two forks or a hand mixer.
- Enjoy chicken in your favorite recipe and with your favorite toppings! Be sure to try out my homemade cilantro-lime tomatillo dressing with this one!
This Instant Pot shredded sweet chicken recipe works with either thawed, fresh chicken or frozen chicken! The cook time is the same! Unless the chicken breasts are frozen and pretty large, I’d increase the cook time to 28 minutes.