The Best Asian Noodle Bowl
- 1 lb. ground turkey (can also use ground pork, chicken, or beef)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. Chinese five spice
- 1/4 c. green onions, diced
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 c. soy sauce
- 1/2 c. rice vinegar
- 5 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. chili paste (it’s called sambal oelek – in the Asian aisle)
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds (plus more for topping)
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 c. water
- 1 lb. egg noodles (16 oz.)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped in about 1 inch shreds
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 green onions, diced (plus extra for topping)
Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium-high heat.
Add ground meat and cook until browned.
Add all the meat spices and the green onions and rice vinegar. Cook down 2 minutes until the spices are incorporated and fragrant. Remove from heat. Cover with lid and set aside.
To make the sauce, whisk all the sauce ingredients together well, except for the water and cornstarch (you will add these later just before pouring into the meat and veggie mixture).
Boil the egg noodles until just barely done. You don’t want them to be mushy. (Be sure to check your package for cooking time – egg noodles can take slightly longer to cook than other pastas).
Strain the noodles once cooked, and lightly drizzle and toss with olive oil to keep them from sticking.
In a large wok or pot set at medium high heat, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
To the oil, add the sliced red onions and cook until softened. Then add the cabbage and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened and slightly wilted.
In a small empty bowl, add the cornstarch (1 tbsp.) and water (1 c.), and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour that mixture into the sauce and whisk well. Then pour the sauce into the wok with the veggies and let it come to a low bubble until it starts to thicken. Stir it as it thickens.
Once it has thickened slightly, add the cooked ground meat and toss to coat.
Then add the cooked pasta and toss with tongs to coat. Add in the final chopped green onions and toss it all together.
Serve warm, garnishing with sesame seeds, more green onions, and if desired more red pepper flakes. Enjoy!