Make summer dinners a breeze with one skillet meals.
There won’t be a pile of dirty dishes in the sink after these summer dinners. They’re all a part of the one-skillet-wonder club!
Wendy Paul shares three recipes that are easy on the prep, easy on the cleanup, but big on deliciousness.
3 Single Skillet Summer Dinners
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Olive oil
- 1 large potato diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp. basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Pre-made pie crust
- In a large skillet over medium heat, place the olive oil, potatoes, carrots, onion and stir. Let the vegetables cook down until tender crisp. Stir occasionally.
- Then add the frozen corn, peas, basil, bay leaves and salt. Stir. Once the veggies are heated through, add the shredded chicken. Then add the butter, flour and stir to combine. Cook the butter and flour for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the chicken broth stirring and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes until heated and bubbly. Remove from the heat and add 1/3 cup (or so) heavy cream.
- Unroll out your premade pie crust and place it over the hot skillet. Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees either in your oven OR grill. Remove from the oven or grill and serve hot with a side salad.
Shakshuka Baked Eggs
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 3 green onions
- 1 ts. each cinnamon, chili powder, kosher salt, garlic, basil & oregano
- 2 lay leaves
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 eggs
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat- add the olive oil in the skillet and add the onions, seasonings, and crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Then reduce the heat to medium- low. Crack the eggs into the sauce with space in between.
- Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the eggs are to your liking.
- Serve with crusty French or sourdough bread, sliced cucumber salad.
Cajun Shrimp Gnocchi
- 1 1/2 lb. large shrimp, shelled and prepped
- 1 lb. pkg. gnocchi
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp-1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups Vegan protein Broth- Sam’s choice or other broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. Basil paste
- 1 tsp. Badia complete seasoning
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, sauté the onion in a little butter for 2-3 minutes. Then add the gnocchi and slightly brown the outside. Season the shrimp with salt and Cajun seasoning.
- Once it’s browning, add the shrimp and stir to combine. Then once the shrimp is almost pink (2-3 minutes more) add the tomatoes, Badia complete seasoning, broth and basil.
- Simmer for 2-3 more minutes. Add the Parmesan cheese and if your sauce is too thin, make a quick cornstarch slurry (1 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp water, mix- add to the simmering liquid while stirring to thicken).
- Top with more Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh cilantro. Quick and easy. Dinner is done. This is for sure a pantry staple item. Gnocchi. And any protein would work if you don’t have shrimp!