This isn’t the same seven layer salad you remember.
We’re getting nostalgic in the Studio 5 kitchen and giving the seven layer salad a remake. It’s bright, crunchy, beautiful—and the perfect blast from the past for any summer get together.
Si Foster shares her new and improved recipe for the classic seven layer salad.
Seven Layer Salad Recipe
PREP TIME: 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS
- 1-2 heads or about 16 cups of chopped Romaine Lettuce*
- 1 lb bacon cooked until crisp and chopped (I like thick slice)
- 1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes washed
- 2-3 cups cucumber skin left on, seeded and diced, about 1 large English Cucumber
- 1 lb fresh green beans blanched and chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 2 bunches green onions washed and chopped (green and white parts)
- 3 cups grated cheese (Cheddar, Colby, Swiss)
- ¾ cup light mayo Best Foods
- ⅓ cup light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon honey or sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1st layer: wash lettuce, thoroughly dry or spin. Chop and set in the bottom of the bowl or container.
- 2nd layer: grape tomatoes, layer on top of well drained lettuce. Do not chop the tomatoes.
- 3rd layer: seeded and chopped cucumbers, layer on top of grape tomatoes.
- 4th layer: green beans, layer on top of cucumbers.
- 5th layer: green onions (not necessary, but I split these into two layers), layer on top of green beans.
- 6th layer: bacon, layer on top of green onions.
- 7th layer: grated cheese
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made one day ahead. If making more than 6 hours ahead, top with bacon and cheese just before serving.
- Place mayo, olive oil, honey or sugar, lime or lemon juice, salt and pepper into a blender. Whisk until blended well. Refrigerate if making ahead, blend again just before serving.
- As stated in the recipe post, it is extremely important to dry the lettuce thoroughly! Do not use Spring Mix, this salad requires a firm green to hold up under the layers of vegetables, cheese and meat.
- I have seen this salad made into 1-2 9×13 or slightly larger pan as well.
- The original dressing consisted of mayo and sugar, some recipe also included grated Parmesan cheese, which would be a great addition! Simply grate 1/2 cup parmesan cheese into dressing ingredients and blend.
- It is tempting to slice the grape tomatoes in half, but this will add more moisture to your salad. Instead stack them whole in the container. Look for grape tomatoes that are smaller in size!
- This salad holds its shape for 2 days after assembly, but I recommend making it no more than 24 hours in advance. If possible add the bacon and cheese layer last.
- The dressing may also be tossed into the salad, or poured over the top as an additional layer.
- This salad serves 12- 15 as a side or about 8 as a main dish. For a main dish, add 2 chicken breast halves, grilled, cooled and chopped.