Quick and Easy Chili
- 1.5 lbs ground beef or other meat
- 1 large onion sweet, white or yellow chopped, about 2 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 cloves or about 2 teaspoons garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder) minced or frozen cubes
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 3 15 oz cans small red, pinto or kidney beans with juice
- 1 (15 oz) tomatoes, diced
- 1 can Rotel optional, see recipe notes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce or 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste see recipe notes
- 8 oz green chili sauce or salsa
- 1 tablespoon beef base “Better than Bouillon” or 2-3 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- brown or granulated sugar, if needed see recipe notes
- water, if needed
Brown the beef and the onions over medium high heat and season with salt and pepper. Drain any excess grease from the pan and discard.
Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic, oregano leaves and chili powder. Sauce for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add all of the canned ingredients and salsa as well, stir to combine.
Add the beef base, Worcestershire sauce and stir. Add sugar if needed.
Serve immediately or simmer for 2-6 hours. Add water if needed to thicken.