A honey citrus cake is just the twist your dessert table needs.
Our Christmas Wheel of Food is taking one more spin! Some favorite foodie friends have given it a whirl and whipped up amazing recipes using a traditional holiday ingredient.
Elena Davis shares how to pair honey with orange and olive oil for a tasty Italian holiday treat. She shares how easy this honey citrus cake is, and a genius hack for getting all the honey out of your measuring cup.
Orange, Honey, and Olive Oil Cake
Makes one 9-inch cake
- 2 cups (258 grams) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
- Freshly grated zest of 2 oranges
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup (160 grams) honey
- ½ cup (125ml / 90 grams) olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Juice of 2 oranges (100ml), freshly squeezed
- ½ cup (125ml / 120 grams) Greek yogurt
- Confectioners’ sugar, to dust the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat the sides and bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, honey, olive oil, yogurt and orange juice and zest together until well blended.
- Sift in flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are deep golden and a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool completely. Before serving, dust with the Confectioners’ sugar, if desired.