Bryce Gubler is with Discount Tires and has some tire tips to make sure your road trips are safe.
During seasonal travel periods several problems converge that create a nationwide road safety issue. Low tire inflation pressure is a common problem that can lead to tire failure. When a vehicle is riding on under-inflated tires, along with heavy passenger and cargo loads, the chances of a road accident increase. A large portion of the traveling public will have low tire pressure on their cars this summer.
• Each year, nearly 700 fatalities and over 30,000 injuries result from car accidents due to under inflated tires. This year, avoid collisions and prepare before you take your next road trip.
• 85% of drivers surveyed do not check their tire pressure properly, and many don’t even know where to find the recommended proper tire inflation for their vehicle according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association.
• The US Dept. of Energy states that drivers can improve gas mileage by more than 3.3% just by keeping tires properly inflated.
• 31% of drivers don’t know how to tell if their tires are bald
• 73% of drivers do not check the tire pressure in their spare tire
• Most motorists are unaware that tire-inflation pressure affects steering and braking control as well as tire-wear and fuel consumption
Tire Maintenance Tips
Top Tire Tips for Summer Road Trips
1. Get Pressure Right – Low tire pressure decreases fuel economy. The specific inflation pressure number can be found on the vehicle placard located on the driver’s side doorpost, glove box door, fuel door or in the owner’s manual. For accurate pressure, check tires when cool and don’t forget the spare. Custom tires and wheels may change standard air pressure requirements, so if you customize have a pro check them out before you go.
2. Don’t Overload Vehicle – Overloading decreases fuel economy due to increased wind drag and cargo weight. Handing, control and braking are also negatively impacted.
3. Rotate Before You Go – Regular rotation helps achieve uniform tire wear and improve road performance. Tires rotated every 6,000 – 8,000 miles have longer life and help maximize your tire investment. It makes sense to get a tire inspection when you rotate. Discount Tire provides free inspections at all stores.
4. Straighten Up – Proper tire alignment provides safe, predictable vehicle control as well as a ride that is smooth, comfortable and free of pulling or vibration. Proper alignment helps tires wear evenly and last longer.
5. Bald Isn’t Beautiful – Lack of tread affects the tire’s ability to grip the road. Make sure tires don’t have uneven wear, high or low areas or unusually smooth areas that can increase the risk of road accidents.
Discount Tires offers free air checks and tire inspections. You may also pick up a brochure outlining what you should have in an “Emergency Roadside Safety Kit”. You can find the nearest Discount Tires through their website www.tires.com..