Studio 5 contributor Katie Bell dishes on the top five activities for you and your family this summer.
1. Throw a neighborhood parade
– Lead the parade with either a pick up truck or a convertible
– Have kids in the car throwing out candy to the spectators
– Decorate bicycles and scooters with streamers, and colored pipe cleaners.
– Have kids dress up and ride around the neighborhood behind the leading vehicle
– End the parade with a neighborhood barbeque
2. Hold your own family chalk festival
– Divide concrete on driveway into even squares with chalk
– List each individuals name in separate square
– Have everyone pick out a photo that they want to draw
– Offer different prizes for each drawing
3. Slip and Slide with tarp or plastic visqueen
– Purchase an oversized tarp or 6 mil plastic visqueen from a hardware store (such as Home Depot or Lowe’s)
– Find a slightly steep hill and lay the tarp or visqueen out
– Cover tarp or visqueen with dish soap and water and slide!!
4. Recreate a full size board game in the backyard
– For checkers buy 16 pieces of black and white poster board
– Divide board into 4 pieces, cut and glue 7 across and down (differing white and black)
– Find 8 Frisbees or plastic plates of two different colors and play!
5. Sports tournament with the neighborhood (NIFA World Cup, Neighborhood International Football Association)
– Make a poster
– Create a roster with teams from different countries (If you have enough
children divide into age brackets.)
– Buy orange cones and crepe paper and set up two goals
– Set up chairs for spectators on the sidelines
– Find fun prizes at a dollar store for all the teams