Jonathan Ribera is a professional artist and art teacher who believes everyone is an artist. He has some tips to cultivate a love of art in your kids.
We now rely on other’s imagination. We go to movies, watch TV, play video games but we rarely turn inside ourselves to discover or rediscover our own power of imagination. When children are excited about art they tend to get the classic phrase, “get a real job.”, or “it’s a waste of time…never make a living at it. Instead of squelching that enthusiasm, try a positive approach:
• Find out what kind of careers are available.
• Exposure-museums, online artists.
• Get a basic understanding and knowledge about the arts.
• Find out and ACCEPT what your kid’s interests are.
• Learn together. Let the child know you want to do it together…
• Always PRAISE…positive reinforcement. Don’t say “What is it?” say “Tell me about it.”
• Never criticize any of the child’s work.
• Show off work. Enter their work in kid’s shows.
• Find artist friendly environments, after school programs, art shows, festivals, gallery openings, have them meet a professional artist locally to see their world and ask questions
• Set time aside for something artistic. Turn off the T.V.
• Alphabet art -make something out of the letters of the alphabet
• Impossible creatures-mix three or four parts of different animals into one crazy creature
• Scribble art- close your eyes draw any lines on your paper for the count of 5 then open you eyes and try to make your scribbles into a picture
• Shape art- Use only triangles to make an entire picture, then try it using only circles or squares.
Utah Museum of Fine Arts Third Saturday Art Activity for Families-Free 2-4pm
Jonathan Ribera is a commissioned artist, art teacher and owner of E. A. Gallery & Art School in Logan, Utah. For more information contact him at: