Elena Davis is a true Italian cook with true Italian flair! Her website is one to bookmark come dinner time. You can check out all of her recipes at cucinabyelena.com.
We love the tang in these frozen lemon bars.
This is a sweet summer treat that will cool your taste buds and make you pucker with excitement. Truly a perfect finale to any BBQ or late-night summer sweet tooth craving!
Elena Davis shares her recipe for delicious, creamy frozen lemon dessert that is all the fun of ice cream, without the cone! This dessert recipe dates back 30 years in the Davis family. It’s the perfect balance of sweet, and tart with an added bite from the graham cracker crumbs. Store these lemon bars in a glass or metal baking sheet, covered well with plastic. You can also wrap them up individually and store them in an airtight container for up to 2 months!
Frozen Lemon Dessert
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups graham crackers (smashed into crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs (separated save yolks and whites in separate bowls)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- In a medium bowl, combine the first three ingredients (butter, graham cracker crumbs, and 2 tablespoons of sugar) until combined. Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the pan. Use a 9X11 inch baking dish (save a handful of the crumb mixture to sprinkle over the top when finished).
- In a large mixing bowl (or bowl of an electric mixer) whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks, set aside. Separate egg yolks and egg whites (make sure none of the yolks get in the whites or they won’t whip properly).
- With a stand mixer or handheld mixer- beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Add one cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until creamy and pale yellow. Add lemon juice and lemon zest and beat again until incorporated.
- Use a spatula and gently fold in egg yolks to the egg whites, best folding method is up down motion and alternating scraping the sides of the bowl. Fold until uniform. Fold the egg yolks and egg whites into the large bowl of whipped cream. Use the same folding method to incorporate.
- Place the prepared lemon filling in the pan prepared with graham cracker crumbs and spread evenly to cover all the pan. Sprinkle the extra crumbs on top. Cover and freeze 2 hours and up to 2 months. For best results allow to freeze at least 2 hours before serving.
- After the lemon bars are frozen use a sharp knife to cut them into small squares. Serve cold!