24 bamboo skewers*, 6-inches long
1 lb. extra-lean top sirloin or beef filet
1 recipe Satay Sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce*
3 Tbl. plum sauce*
2 Tbl. distilled white vinegar
1 Tbl. honey or brown sugar
1 Tbl. sake* or sherry
1/2 tsp. Chinese chili sauce* – optional
1 Tbl. minced fresh cilantro
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
1. Trim meat of fat and cut against the grain into 24 ribbon strips, about 4 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. Combine marinade ingredients and mix with meat. Thread 1 piece of meat on each skewer. leaving at least 1-inch of skewer un-covered at each end. Pour remaining marinade over meat. Marinate 1 hour or longer in the refrigerator, turning skewers at least once.
2. If broiling meat, place broiling rack at highest setting, then preheat broiler to 550. When oven is preheated, turn setting to broil and broil meat until just cooked, about 2 – 4 min. (If using an electric oven leave doors slightly ajar during cooking.) If grilling, light coals about 1 hour ahead, so that they develop a white ash. Place skewers over heat and grill for about 3 min. rotating skewers several times.
3. Bring Satay Sauce to room temperature. If sauce is too thick, thin with a little water or skim milk. Serve eat hot with sauce on side.
2 Tbl. quality chunky or smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 Tbl. lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup evaporated nonfat skim milk
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dark soy sauce*
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. Chinese chili sauce*
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 to 2 1/2 tsp. imitation coconut extract
1. Place peanut butter in saucepan with 1 tsp. lime juice and all remaining ingredients except cornstarch and coconut extract. Bring sauce to a low boil over medium high heat.
2. Mix cornstarch with a tsp. of water and add to boiling sauce. Stirring constantly, continue to cook for 1 min. Pour sauce into a small bowl, stir in coconut extract and let sauce cool to room temperature. When at room temperature, stir in remaining lime juice and adjust seasonings.