Step up your walking workout and maximize your calorie burn with five
simple steps. Health and Fitness Contributor Melanie Douglass shares how
to amp up your power-walk and conquer the pavement.
Here are the tips:
1. Get Pumping
– proper forms/arm swing/heels/chin up
2. Squeeze tight!
– contracting glutes/abs the entire time!
3. Lunge it Out
– doing a few “walking lunges” to get your legs really tired, then you push
through that and keep walking FAST
4. Break up the chit-chat
– walking fast enough that you can only say a few words at a time, but if
you can spew paragraphs, your walking too slow
5. Find the beat
– walk with a metronome clicker app, or great music. I’ll post my favorite
walking workout playlist!!
Here are Melanie’s favorite picks for her playlist! This playlist is on i-tunes
just for Studio 5 viewers!
Plus here’s a link for her pitbull cardio mix – all 132 beats per min!
Melanie Douglass, R.D., NASM, AFAA