Chef Johnny McAdams from Harmons is here to
show us how to make the Summer Celebration Cake
with fresh strawberries and raspberries.
1 C. white sugar
½ C. butter (soft)
½ C. plain Greek yogurt
4 egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C. ap. Flour
1 ¾ tsp. baking powder
½ C. milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the sugar, yogurt,
3. Cream the items together, add the egg whites
4. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed
mixture and mix well.
5. Stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
6. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. For cupcakes, bake 20 to
8. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
1 lb. strawberries (cut in 4ths)
1 pint raspberries
½ C. sugar
1 Tbs. lemon juice or lime
1. Place the berries into a bowl, sprinkle the sugar
over the berries evenly.
2. Add the lemon juice (add wine or liquor if using) and
lightly mix with a spoon.
3. Place in the fridge for 1 hour. Top the cake and
Whipped Pastry Cream
2 C. milk
½ C. sugar
2 egg yolks
¼ C. cornstarch
¼ C. sugar
2 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ C. whipped cream
1. In a heavy saucepan, stir together the milk and 1/4
cup of sugar.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and
4. Stir together the remaining sugar and cornstarch;
then stir them into the egg until smooth.
5. When the milk comes to a boil, drizzle it into the
bowl in a thin stream while mixing so that you do not cook
6. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and slowly
bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the eggs don’ t
curdle or scorch on the bottom.
7. When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens,
remove from the heat.
8. Stir in the butter and vanilla, mixing until the
butter is completely blended in.
9. Pour into a heat-proof container and place a piece
of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin
from forming. Refrigerate until chilled. Once cooled fold
the whipped cream into the pastry cream.