This avocado grapefruit salad hits all the spring notes.
It’s a beautiful salad full of texture and bursting with flavor, and it has an unexpected star. When was the last time you added grapefruit to your greens? The result is a splash of citrus in every bite.
Dina Driggs shares her recipe for a delicious avocado grapefruit salad. She shares her tips for how to slice a grapefruit the right way, and a method for how to cut romaine lettuce into the perfect bite-sized chunks.
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
- 4 Cups Romaine Lettuce
- 2 Pink Grapefruits
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Walnuts
- Grapefruit Salad Dressing
- 1/4 Cup Grapefruit Juice
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- Cut heads of Romaine lettuce into small pieces. Place on individual plates or a platter.
- Peel and segment the grapefruit. (Instructions above)
- Cut avocado into small pieces.
- Place grapefruit sections and avocado on the lettuce.
- Chop the walnuts in thirds.
- Heat the cup of sugar on high in a frying pan. Stir occasionally. As the sugar begins to brown, stir constantly. Stir until all the sugar is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the walnuts. Stir until all the nuts are covered with sugar. Pour onto a heat-resistant plate or dish.
- When the nuts cool, break apart and sprinkle on the salad
- Squeeze leftover grapefruit juice into a measuring cup.
- Add the same amount of sugar. Add the salt and ground mustard.
- Mix well. Put everything in a container with a lid and add the oil. Put the lid on and shake well.
- Dress the salad and toss.