Professional Organizer Vicki Winterton helps us overcome the holiday overwhelm.
I offer one main organizing tip for reigning in the holidays: PLAN. Make a list of expected holiday activities and events then check it twice. Santa is willing to do this, because it is a major time-saver in the long run.
FIRST: Prioritize your list into 3 categories:
• Must Do – Activities you can’t do without
• Might Do – Activities you would like to do IF time and money permit
• Could Do – Activities you have done in years past, but are not really a family favorite
SECOND: Schedule your “Must Do’s” on your December calendar. Add your “Might Do’s” in pencil. Purge most of your “Could Do’s”.
THRID: Simplify your life!
• Basic Life: Streamline, Abridge & Delegate everything you can. This includes meals and house upkeep.
• Holiday Decorating: Save yourself frustration and time by decorating only the 1 or 2 rooms where your family and guests typically gather.
• Gift Giving: Spend valuable time considering the person and their interests BEFORE beginning your shopping. Two of my favorite time-saving clutter-free gift types are: 1) Gifts of Experiences – It’s much nicer to have your gift result in a fond memory rather than just another thing to dust! 2) Consumable Gifts like food options or any type of gift card. *One of the greatest gifts we can give this holiday season is to offer others ourselves – cheerful, rested and ready; not exhausted from shopping for hours on end.
I’m a great fan of the Christmas holidays. I’m always tempted to do more, but I know the quickest way to spoil the holidays is to fill them with too much of everything. So decorate, shop, and bake; but not at the expense of enjoying yourself, your family, and your friends. Plan, schedule and simplify today to be assured your next few weeks will be merry and bright!
Vicki Winterton is a professional organizer and an online organizing expert who co-hosts The Organized Woman Show. To listen & subscribe visit www.TheOrganizedWomanShow.com Vicki’s Utah based professional organizing business is found at
To enter Vicki’s Smith’s gift card drawing and to download Vicki’s FREE printable Countdown to Christmas Holiday Planner pages, visit Vicki’s blog posting titled Holiday Planning at